#header-inner { margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;}
-->

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Upcycled shabby art!

This is a piece of art that I recently put together as a gift for my dear friend Olivia. At school last year, the students and I created a similar piece and Olivia said she just HAD to have one.

First step was to get a canvas in the desired size. We then cut out rectangles of artist grade sketch paper. I made 29 pieces. The students collaged the rectangles with all sorts of recycled materials - doilies, buttons, paper, cotton buds, wooden skewers and white fabric pieces. Everything was secured by applying modelling compound to the shapes first. This dries clear/white.

We then chose a colour scheme. Perfect for Olivia's tropical style abode!

The canvas was painted a uniform background colour.

Rectangles were painted in groups of 7-8 per colour.

I then applied some gold rub to textured areas to lift the pieces a little.

All the rectangles were then arranged on the canvas like a patchwork quilt. I made them stick down with more of the modelling compound. The outcome I think is quite handsome. The beauty of having children do the art work is that they don't think too much about the look of their piece and lead with their hearts. So each rectangle is completely individual and unique. I would love to do another one of these but have it all white!

2 comments:

  1. It looks amazing, Jac! I would love to see it in white too! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Jac! I loved it last year and love it again  You can start thinking about next years canvas!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...