#header-inner { margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;}
-->

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Grandma's teacups and Grandfather's clock

No matter what I do, it's something I can't help. It's in my blood - an undying love of fine china and tableware. My dear Grandma was a manager for Royal Doulton for decades and my gorgeous Mum is still a manager for Waterford Wedgwood after many, many years in the business. So a love for this stuff has been passed down through the generations and we can't get enough!

I fondly remember days at Grandma's house when she would pull out her cups and saucers and we would play tea parties. And I always remember looking in amazement at her collection of 'crazy' sets laid out on an antique butler's trolley. I was so lucky so inherit a few of these and I knew you would all love their beauty as much as I do...




This pattern, 'Dainty Blue' by Royal Albert has always been my favourite since I was a little girl. Grandma gave me her entire tea set for my twenty-first birthday. The ivy and the daisies are so delicate and 'dainty'.






I always wanted my bedroom to look like this...



The tea cup to this set sadly broke, but I still love admiring the stunning pattern on the plates.


Part of a tea set, 'Posy' by Royal Crown Derby. To me, the pink rose painted on this is perfection!


I have also been lucky enough to inherit this Grandfather clock. A piece like no other I have seen before. It is one of the more imposing pieces of furniture that we have, yet it is by far the most charming.


You see, on the hour it does't just chime...it plays sweet melodies through a music box behind the clock face.

There are enough records to suit every mood...


I hope this post has inspired you to admire a treasure that you may have from someone passed and evoke feelings of nostalgia and fond memories.

xx

7 comments:

  1. Do you use all your tea cups? The Liles' gave me a gorgeous set for my kitchen tea party 3 years ago but I am too scared of wrecking it so have never used it. It does look fantastic sitting in my glassware cabinet though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Sarah! Don't be scared...life is too short to keep them on a shelf. Mum has always advised me to use them regularly, especially if they are bone china - regular use will keep the pieces strong. And always rotate the pieces around. They will look fantastic in your cabinet and on your coffee table or bedside! Thanks for your comment and for following. Great to hear from you gorgeous girl. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jac, those tea cups are so lovely, and how wonderful for them to have a personal significance as well. You are so right about using them regularly, china is such a delight to drink from, and the risk of loss is really quite low, and worth it for the pleasure of using them! I suffered a loss recently of a favorite, and even though my great gran bought it for my mum, I was brave! Looking on the bright side.... now I can buy some new ones... perhaps they will be passed on to my daughter! Love your grandfather clock too! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi sweetie- oh we are a perfect match- i am soo happy to hear you use all those beautiful gifts from your grandmother...

    i love that you got a tea set- {and that particular one- how gorgeous is it!!}- for your 21st...i totally understand that!

    when we lose a teacup- the little saucer is a perfect cupcake size...i've now taken to buying tea saucers just for that...

    i've never heard of a clock that chimes like that- what a treasure- all that wonderful family history in your house...it's a blessing...

    happy sunday honey...Melissa xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jac, These are simply artwork and sculpture at its Royal Dalton finest! You have such a stunning collection. Your Grandmother would be looking down fondly whenever you use them. Enjoy these truly historical family heirlooms.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful.
    My Mum and I have 'crazy' tea sets and Mum has started a tradition of giving my niece a tea set for each birthday so that she can enjoy this special tradition too.

    As for your Grandfather's clock - the idea of it playing different tunes on the hour is truly magical.

    Happy day!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...